Traditionally, spring and early summer have been the best times to buy or sell a home. However, the fall months present some unique benefits to would-be sellers that the warmer months do not.
While the pool of potential buyers might be smaller in the off-season, chances are they are more motivated and serious about finding a home, closing, and moving in quickly. Instead of the tire-kickers one might get through the door in April, those looking to buy in the fall are often driven by a job relocation or a significant life event and do not have the luxury of time.
So if you plan on selling your home this fall, follow these 10 tips to make your home look its best, and sell quickly.
- Clean up the yard. Keep the grass mowed, fill in any dead patches, and cut back overgrown vegetation.
- Patch or seal any side walk or driveway cracks.
- Add curb appeal with seasonal plants and accent with motion-activated lighting.
- If your front door is looking tired, freshen it up with a coat of paint. A seasonal wreath lends an added feeling of “welcome.”
- If you’re painting the interior of your home, choose light, neutral colors like pale yellow or beige.
- Keep rooms free of clutter and remove large, bulky furniture pieces.
- Add simple, tasteful, fall-inspired decorations such as a bowl filled with red apples, warm-hued throw pillows, and fragrant pillar candles.
- If you have a fire place, be sure to clean it out. Accent it with logs or candles.
- Embrace would-be buyers with the smell of fresh baked apple pie or hot apple cider.
- Make sure your home is well lit with strategically placed accent lamps for a softer, more inviting glow.
That’s the easy stuff, right? But if you’re serious about completing the sales of your home as quickly as possible and with a minimum of haggling, see if there’s anything in your kitchen and bathrooms that could stand to be updated or repaired. Especially if it’s something the buyer’s home inspector is likely to uncover anyway.
At Baylor, we can help you prepare your house for sale and help you obtain top re-sale value with precision plumbing repairs and updates, like fixing that leaky faucet or replacing your rattling garbage disposal. We can also inspect your AC and heating systems, affording you the opportunity to make any small repairs before you put your home on the market.
Contact us today for service and for a more rewarding home selling experience.